Restructure, Relocation & Business Purchase / Sale (TUPE)
Change is the one constant. As part of their evolution businesses need to adapt, diversify, and change whatever the economic climate may be. A business review may identify that some restructure may be necessary to increase effectiveness and efficient of all or part of the operation.
Whether it’s reacting to a sudden and unexpected event, addressing a growing trend, seizing an opportunity, or forward planning a change as part of a business review or staged growth plan, there is likely to be an impact on employees.
In some situations a company may need to reduce the number of employees either generally or in one area, or reorganise the work and responsibilities of all or some employees – perhaps due to new ways of working, or some new and different business being secured. As company’s continually look at costs, moving to a new premises, relocating the business and employees may be a necessary step.
Growth by acquisition, business purchase, introduced the Transfer of Undertakings Protection of Employee legislation (or, TUPE). TUPE equally applies to business sale, in part or in whole, and may apply when new contracts have been secured. We have experience from the purchase, sale and the securing contract aspect and can advise on this tricky legislation to ensure company’s don’t fall foul, either at the time of the change, or afterwards.
In any situation we can assist the legalities involved, and ensure a smooth process including helping with communicating the changes to employees. We have significant experience in guiding businesses through the HR issues arising from organisational change however it arises, and whatever the business size.
These are the kind of things we’ve dealt with:
- Managing redundancy situations in small businesses with limited resources and no HR expertise.
- Conducted the required redundancy meetings with employees, managing the full range of emotions.
- Drafted, and actually communicated the change proposals to employees in the company.
- Clearly identified HR issues arising from change proposals & created a change plan.
- Identified the options and the best approach to manage the situation – which is sometimes a different plan.
- Ensured all the required letters and documents accurately reflect the actual situation.
- Led TUPE transfers in small and large numbers, both for employee transfers in and transfers out.
How We Can Help
- But you don’t have to do it on your own, Spirit HR can guide you through this process providing you with the tools to make the right decisions. Contact us for more details.
- We have significant experience in supporting business of all sizes and sectors through change from redirection of a small number of posts, to company-wide reorganisation.
- We advise you and work with you in professionally dealing with any arising issues, such as redundancy, or underpinning issues, for example TUPE.
- We can also help you with future plans. This could be identifying training needs for staff where the business has identified a new market to move into in the future. See Training & Development.
- In short, companies that constantly review and alter their business as part of their ‘business as usual’ operating model find dealing with externally imposed impacts easier and, importantly, so do their staff because it’s part of usual practice. We have significant experience in guiding businesses through the people issues arising from organisational change.
Call us at the office on 0845 463 3231 for an informal discussion about how we can help your business.