Spirit HR has significant experience of managing redundancy exercises from very small employers perhaps needing to decrease by just one post with a head-count of maybe a dozen, through to a Blue Chip global company, with employee numbers of 10,000 over 26 national sites and a reduction of hundreds of employees.
Whatever the business size, we will discuss and plan the correct process for your situation- and come up with alternative suggestions where they exist. We discuss the process and ensure the company understand the legal requirements – before, during and after any redundancies are made. We also deal with the myths that surround redundancy (there are many) and ensure the process is fair and dependable. We can draft communication messages, conduct the meeting to make the announcement, and draft all correspondence through to the outcome. We can meet with employees – particularly where there is some undercurrent or the business owner would prefer professional management to ensure conversations are carefully managed and do not slip into a war of words, criticism and blame.
Redundancy can sometimes arise from business reorganisation. Read our page about how we can help with the HR issues arising from business change.
Spirit HR provides occasional half-day seminars on various HR topics, including redundancy where we tell you how to get it right and also the common and frequent things that are easy to get wrong.
These are the kind of things we’ve dealt with:
- Single redundancy situations in small, close companies, to larger numbers, and multi-site locations.
- Identifying discreet pools of At Risk employees, managing that pool and the communication to those not affected.
- Breaking the news and explaining how the process will work to employees.
- Conducting consultation meetings including with adversarial employees.
- Devising and creating the skills matrix for selection.
- Breaking the bad news, discussing and agreeing a dignified exit (to suit business needs) and managing any fall-out.
- Identifying ways to avoid any redundancies.
How We Can Help
- Spirit HR will guide you through the current legislation ensuring you are always compliant.
- We will ensure you have template letters, guidance notes and redundancy calculations to give at the right time.
- We will guide you through the consultation period and conduct the meetings if you prefer.
- We will assist you with any grievances or appeals that are raised during the process and ensure you manage things correctly.
- We will provide support for the people leaving your organisation, and those remaining. Have a look at our Outplacement pages, and contact us for more information about how we can provide a service suitable for you.
- We advise you about the impact redundancy has on future recruitment decisions.