Disciplinary & Grievance Cases
Sometimes situations occur in businesses that mean the owner or manager must consider taking disciplinary action against a member of staff. This can be a difficult situation, not least because in smaller businesses people have closer working relationships. However, Spirit HR’s best advise is always to deal with matters, quickly, cleanly, fairly, lawfully and as impartially as possible.
When employees have problems or concerns that are related to work they raise grievances with their manager. It’s important to deal with these matters promptly and fairly, following the right process, and to know what rights an employee actually does have – whether in grievance or in discipline matters.
We know all the possible pitfalls and problems – from simple things such as not having enough impartial managers to deal with the process. Spirit HR has had years of experience in supporting managers in disciplinary and grievance cases including where they overlap, or where sickness absence is a factor.
These are the kind of things we’ve dealt with:
- Employee is arrested – and may still be in police custody.
- Employee is invited to a meeting, and promptly reports sick.
- Employee claims your investigation is the cause of their anxiety and / or depression sickness absence.
- Employee refuses to participate in any part of the process & declares on that basis the business cannot do anything.
- Employee demands to have a family member in a meeting and asserts you cannot decline.
How We Can Help
- We will guide you through the current legislation ensuring you are always compliant.
- We will ensure you have template letters to issue at the right time.
- We will ensure you are aware of your own or statutory timelines.
- We will ensure you aware of how to conduct a fair and thorough investigation.
- We will strategically consider involvement of key people in the process.
- We will support you through every stage, being as involved as you prefer.
Call us at the office on 0845 463 3231 for an informal discussion about how we can help your business.